September 2015 Seabrook Point Ladies Luncheon

Well summer is over. I hope it was a good one for all of you.

This month we will have lunch at Boundary Street Cafe, 1209 Boundary Street, 843-379-1811. The date is Tuesday, 29th at noon. The food is really good.

New! Boundary Street CafeI would like a large group to attend because they are opening just for us (They are normally closed on Tuesday). We will have the whole place to ourselves. Because they will be bringing in extra staff there will be a $5.00 fee tagged on to our bill. This will include the tip so it shouldn’t be too bad.

The Boundary Street Cafe is located right after the Veterans Cemetery, on the same side, in the small shopping center. Click here for directions. Click here for more information.

Thank you. Hoping to see a nice crowd there,

Arlene Oliver

2015 Work Day

September 15, 2015

Hello neighbors,

Fall is upon us, and we are preparing to conduct our annual Seabrook Point Community Work Day.  It is scheduled for Saturday, October 17th, 2015 from 8:00 am until 4:00 pm.  We will be focused on beautifying the common areas, road sign maintenance, and painting the community dock. Please contact Zachary Curry if you will be able to join us and in which area you would like to help. You can contact him at the phone number or email address listed below.  We will be having a volunteer meeting on Monday, October 12th, 6:00 pm at the community dock. The meeting will last for 15 minutes, so please be prompt.  Also, if you would be willing to take the lead on any of the three areas, please let us know.  We hope you can join us in helping to keep our community as beautiful as ever.

Sincerely,

Board of Directors, Seabrook Point Property Owner’s Association

Zachary Curry, President, 843-263-5480
Janice Powell, Vice-President
Bob Roth, Secretary
Cliff Dey, Treasurer
Bob All, Member-at-Large

board@seabrookpoint.com   

Volunteers Needed!

From Zach Curry:

Hello neighbors,

I am writing to you all not only as the President of the Board of Directors, but more importantly as one of your neighbors. Seabrook Point is a great community, not because of the outstanding architectural quality of the homes, or the amazing views of the Whale Branch River, or the great community boat ramp or dock – it is because of the people. I know that many of you have contacted the board this year over concerns and issues in the community.  We appreciate you reaching out to us. We share your concerns on many of the issues: security at the boat ramp and dock, maintaining the beauty of the community through lot maintenance, trespassing at the common areas, vehicles speeding through the community, and community member compliance with the Covenants. We also have come to the conclusion that we cannot address these issues as effectively without your help. We are asking for volunteers to help lead community committees that will address many of these issues. We are also continuing the Covenant re-write process and would welcome volunteers to help shape the future of our community through this important task. Here is a list of the committees and a short description that we think would bring value to our community:

  • Budget
    • Responsible to review the community budget on an annual basis and make recommendations to the board
  • Welcome / Sunshine
    • Welcome those who move into the community
    • Coordinate assistance (for those who desire it) for those recovering from illness, surgery, etc
    • Coordinate community gatherings
  • Security
    • Assist the Board in maintaining a safe and hazard free community
    • Organize the community Neighborhood Watch program
  • Community Projects
    • Assist the Board in maintaining the community lot maintenance and overall community beautification
  • Covenant rewrite
    • Assist the Board in completing a draft and final Covenant to present to the community

Please contact me if you would like to be a part of one of the committees. Call or email me, click here to communicate your interest, or join us at our next Board meeting on Monday, October 12th at 6:30pm at 9 Seabrook Point Drive.  Thank you all for your consideration and I hope you hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Zachary Curry
President, SPPOA
board@seabrookpoint.com
843-263-5480

August 10 Minutes of the Seabrook Point Property Owners Association Board Meeting

Board Members Present: Bob All, Zach Curry, Cliff Dey (by phone), Janice Powell, Bob Roth

Zach Curry convened the meeting at 6:30 PM at his house.

The minutes for the July 16 meeting were approved, as was the agenda for this meeting.

Old Business

Covenant Rewrite Update: Bob Roth has distributed a proposed draft for comments among the Board Members. He will incorporate their comments, obtain additional comments from the Covenant Committee members and circulate the resulting document to the community for review and comments.

Community Boat Ramp and Dock Security: Based on our inability to maintain chain security at the ramp, we are evaluating placing a simple, gravity-close gate at the entrance and a wire fence with metal poles around the periphery of the property sufficient to restrict access to the gated drive. The proposal follows one suggested by Don Smith. Zach Curry has obtained reasonably-priced proposals for the gate and Bob Roth has done an architectural rendering (attached). We will complete our evaluation and send the proposal to the community for review in September.

Nominations for Roads Commission: The Board agreed to nominate Zach Curry to replace Al Truesdale on the commission and to add Dave Hamill. We will communicate our nominations to Beaufort County.

Dock Treatment: there was consensus that no additional treatment is required at this time.

Mowing: The Board agreed to implement a revised policy, to wit:

  • Lot owners should maintain vegetation at less than 12 inches maximum
  • If a Board member finds a lot that does not comply, they will contact the owner by telephone, email, or letter.
  • If the lot has not been mowed 14 days after initial contact, the Board will contract to have the lot mowed and will invoice the owner for the cost.

The Board will send a letter to all owners of record prior to initiating the policy.

New Business

The Board has decided to broaden the management of the community and solicit additional participation. We will explain our objectives in a letter to members. In summary, however, we will institute committees for the budget, community security, to welcome new members, manage community property, and revise covenants and restrictions.

In response to comments from Bill Hatcher, a property owner and realtor, the Board is considering a standard, simplified format for property “for sale” signs. See the attached image for an example.

There are enough topics that would benefit from group discussion to warrant a community meeting in early Fall. The Board will set a date and agenda and send out notices in September.The next meeting will be held on September 14 at 6:30 PM at the home of Zach Curry.

The meeting adjourned at 8:18 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Bob Roth
Secretary

ATTACHMENTS

Architectural Renderings of the Proposed Gate and Fence

Architectural Renderings of the Proposed Gate and Fence

Two Current Examples with the Proposed New Standard Sign

Two Current Examples with the Proposed New Standard Sign

July 6 Minutes of the Seabrook Point Property Owners Association Board Meeting

Board members present: Zachary Curry, Janice Powell, and Bob Roth.

Zach Curry convened the meeting at 6:30 PM at his house. Zach Curry, Janice Powell, and Bob Roth attended. Don Smith attended as an observer.

The minutes from the May 11 meeting were approved, as was the agenda for this meeting.

Old Business

As Cliff Dey was unable to attend, the community gate update was postponed until the next meeting.

The lock to secure access to the boat ramp has been problematical and has broken again.

Security at the boat ramp/dock area continues to be a problem. Cars and people who are not members of the community continue to use the facilities, even after dark. The current chain securing the boat ramp is too heavy for available locks, which consistently break. The board discussed whether to replace the lock or to implement a new solution, like an inexpensive gate/fence closer to Whale Branch Drive. Don Smith provided a schematic of an earlier proposal. Janice Powell and Zach Curry committed to provide estimates of the alternatives and Bob Roth committed to provide a rendering of the gate/fence proposal. The board plans to submit a proposal to the community prior to any implementation, unless it chooses simply to replace the lock and chain.

The Board has completed a new, web-based procedure for boat ramp access stickers. Applicants now complete a form online and email it to the board, receiving temporary passes by email and decals as before by mail. Temporary passes allow close to immediate access.

Bob Roth provided a list of possible covenants and restrictions by class of item (construction, lot and house maintenance, pets, vehicles including recreational use (boats, RVs), temporary housing and mobile homes, commercial use/rentals, etc). and asked to board to comment on which and to what extent they need to be covered in the revised covenants. The proposed covenants may be unnecessarily restrictive. The board will review the types of restrictions and provide their assessment of the need for restrictions in each area. This assessment will be done in parallel to any work done by the covenant committee. The board expects to distribute a similar survey to the entire community soon.

The Board discussed several potential nominations for ACC and Road Commission. The Board moved to send out a request for volunteers. The request draft will be reviewed at the next meeting. Further discussion was postponed until the next meeting.

New Business

New web features include the parking decal application, a new, comprehensive community data base, and information available by text message, including license tag, parking decal, and lot/owner lookup. Access to the text message features is currently limited to board members for security reasons.

The next meeting is scheduled for 6:30 PM on August 10 at Zach Curry’s house.

The meeting adjourned at 8:18 PM.

Bob Roth
Secretary